1. I spent my annual holiday in India. After three days in Delhi I flew to Mumbai. The population of the city is 20 million spread over seven islands linked by bridges to each other and to the mainland.
2. From my window in the Taj Lands End Hotel I can see a bridge across the sea to the City Centre.
3. The bridge is curved forming a half circle from end to end. The centre part is cable-stayed with two supporting pylons. The rest, both the eastern and the western ends are supported by concrete pillars.
4. The haze is bad but the whole curved bridge can be clearly seen in the evening.
5. I wonder whether the Mumbaians protested about being curved and not straight.